Thursday, January 3, 2013

Appreciation

I know I said this post was going to be about another trail in the Triple Crown, but I realized that, even though I talk about him a lot....I don't really exude how much I appreciate Koda.

In short, I really freakin' love my dog.

I've wanted a dog since I was in the 6th grade. My parents had a Golden Retriever named Sadie that I played with growing up, but she died when I was about 4-5 years old.  Consistently, since that time I would ask for a dog.  I could recognize breeds at sight, even obscure ones for our area (ie: Saluki, Afghan, Scottish Deerhound, Puli, etc).

I promised myself when I started college that, upon graduation, I would have enough money saved up to own a dog and be able to give it everything that it needs. So, even though working part time, being a music education major and an honor's student was strenuous, it was worth it.  The part time job allowed me to save enough to pay for rent and Koda and I was able to complete my degree.

As I mentioned in the last post, I visited the Humane Society in Sioux Falls often.  While there, I think there were a total of 3 dogs that I really thought I wanted to adopt, but none of them felt perfect.  Koda was part of the "Paroled Pups" program - meaning that he was being worked with by inmates at the Penitentiary. I had to set up a meeting to see him.  Even though he was exceptionally distant when I first met him and wanted nothing to do with me, something told me that he'd be a great dog.  So I set up to adopt him.

Yes. Dare I say it. Koda was a dream come true. Girl wanted a dog. Girl worked since she was 14 for the obscure goal of being independent and having a dog some day.  Girl got the dog she wanted.


To save from boring you (or making you gag if you don't like the mushy-gushy stuff), I've compiled a video of Koda doing his favorite thing in the snow: sledding.





No comments:

Post a Comment