Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Off-Leash Training

Off-Leash Training

Alright, so, I'm going to start this out by completely owning up to the fact that Nathan helped me out with training Koda to be off leash.

He helped me out a lot.

You see, I'm exceptionally protective of Koda (probably due to the fact that I have wanted a dog since I was 8 and have finally achieved that glorious goal).  I'm also exceptionally aware of the fact that, if he does get hurt, so does my bank account.  I'll do whatever is necessary to "fix" him, but a teacher's salary isn't extensive and being cautious doesn't always hurt.

But, as you'll notice in upcoming photos of recent hikes, Koda is completely off leash.  I've only had him 6 months, so how could this happen so quickly?

I'll give you a write down of the process that we went through to get him to the point he is now:

First, it was the re-tractable leash.  This was for the first 4 months of owning him. Koda was previously called "Tex", so I needed to be sure that he knew his name.  I constantly rewarded him by giving him small treats when he came after I whistled or called his name.  I also am consistent with the whistle I use to call him (For any Wes Anderson fans, it's the same whistle as used in "Fantastic Mr. Fox").




On the Lead
Second, my parents purchased a 20'-25' lead.  Originally, we were just going to use it to let him hang out in the backyard while we were doing other things.  Eventually I used it as his leash (connecting it to my day-hiking backpack) when hiking.  It allows him enough room to maneuver and be a good distance away from us, but not outside of a controllable range.  The lead also allowed me to test his listening skills and see if he would come when called.

Snowfill Dog Park
At this point, I had also moved to Bozeman which has a phenomenal dog park called Snowfill Dog Park (see previous post).  This park is large enough that we can really test Koda's listening by having him be half a mile away and calling him.  It also allowed us to see how well he listened while being distracted by other animals/people.

The next step Nathan took the initiative with - I was too nervous about it.  When Koda seemed mostly responsive to his name and coming when called, we stopped holding on to the lead.  We still had it drag behind/under him - so it provided some resistance - but Koda was essentially free to run around where he liked.  This part we did for about a month and a half and continuously rewarded him with praise and treats when he did return.

Once Koda proved that he would come when called both at the dog park and on hikes/other walks with the lead still attached, we removed the lead.

BAM. Off-leash dog.
Finally Off-Leash


Now, does Koda respond 100% of the time with alacrity?
I wish.

When on hikes, he likes to get a good distance ahead of me.  I learned this really well today on a hike (post about that next week).  There were points where he would be beyond my sight (something I'm not okay with).  So, when he proved again and again that he wouldn't come when called, I attached the lead to him and made him stay on lead.  I'm blessed with a fairly intelligent dog, so he knew what he did/did not do, and walked very nicely on the lead.

Do I think this method will work with all dogs? No, I honestly don't.  If you have a dog who is high energy and easily distracted, or a dog who is stubborn and likes to test your ability as "Alpha" - this may not work for you.  It also may not work if you don't have the time to devote to it.

It worked for me, and so far so good.
Knock on wood!

Best,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment