Monday, November 19, 2012

Storm Castle Trail

My friends, I am pleased...nay, elated...to tell you the tail of Storm Castle Trail.


You head down the highway,
Gallatin by name.
And take a left on a dirt road,
if hiking is your game.

You then take a right,
BUT DON'T YOU STOP.
You go past a helibase,
to make it to the top.

Then you're at the trail,
with three other choices.
Choose one wisely,
(listen to the voices).

You start up the trail,
it's not hard at all.
but then it gets perilous,
careful, don't fall!

Some trail is smooth,
and other is stoney.
Wear good hiking boots,
the trail is no phony!

You go past one lookout,
then two, then three!
Look towards Hyalite,
oh how far you can see!

The exercise is great;
the scenery is charming.
Developing in Gallatin?
NO! How alarming!

The world looks so small,
the higher you go.
You gain a sense of peace,
time seems to slow.

Hiking is more,
than just trying to get fit.
It's about realizing yourself-in this world,
in spite of it.

So when you begin,
please leave no trace.
This place is sacred,
separate the rat race.




Alright, all joking aside...this is truly a beautiful hike.  The only thing I managed to complain about (and honestly, probably too much) was the snow.  Hiking in it was not the most exciting thing in the world as it wasn't "powder soft and Christmas-y". No, no, no. We've had a warm streak in Bozo and the snow was compacted and slick from other hikers.

But otherwise, not a complaint. Nathan and I realized how nice it is to sometimes hike on a trail that has an actual end point.  You feel like you've completed something and can gain a small sense of pride.

And, have I mentioned enough how BEAUTIFUL the scenery is throughout the entire hike?  There wasn't one moment where I wasn't awed by something. Or, perhaps in a more understandable sentence structure...I was wow'd by everything.


                         











You might be wondering why Koda is back on the lead. Well, he had a bit of a falling out with Nathan on a hike last week and completely ran off......twice.  So, to me, that says he isn't ready to be off lead.


(He knows he's in trouble, I think).

So we're back to walking him on the long lead, calling him back, and rewarding him every time he comes.  I've taken him to the dog park a few times and he has done exceptionally well there.  He's returned even when distracted by other dogs.

Oh, and I'm pleased to say that this hike wasn't hard for me (although, it's not a terribly hard hike...just steep).  So, that leads me to believe that I'm getting somewhere in the "get ready for days of hiking" category.

I'm also extremely excited to announce that some friends and I have agreed to do The Color Run in Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN next summer.





Alright, exceptionally long post done.  If you're ever in Bozeman and trying to decide which hike to do...I think this would be my number one suggestion!

Happy Monday and Happy Thanksgiving!

Best,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment