Monday, December 3, 2012

Skijoring - Attempt One


There comes a time in every girl's and dog's life when the snow flies and it's just not much fun to trudge waist deep in snow.

It's at these points in time when the girl has to toughen up and say "It's time to try something new."  Luckily, this girl had a boyfriend that was willing to help her and not laugh at her too hard.

That's right, my friends, last Saturday I learned how to cross-country ski.  Simultaneously, Koda continued to learn how to skijor.

"Wait." You may be thinking "What the heck is skijoring and how on Earth do you say it."

Skee-yor-ing (if you're a Norsky) or Skee-jor-ing (generally how most folks Stateside pronounce it) is when a dog, horse, or snowmobile pulls a human who is wearing cross-country skis.  The biggest trick in skijoring (as far as I can tell) is ensuring that your dog will pull you on the trails and not take off after wildlife.  There are a few common commands that folks like to use when skijoring:

"Hike" - Let's Go
"Easy" - Slow Down
"Gee" - Right
"Haw" - Left
"On By" - Pass without slowing (or a "leave it" command for those who have dogs that may want to stop and smell everything).

The key, as far as I'm learning, in this activity is to maintain patience and consistency.  Really, in this way it's not much different from teaching elementary music.

So, off we went! I wish I could tell you the trail that we went on, but I forgot to look at the name. It's north of Bohart Ranch in the Bridgers (which is north of Bridger Bowl).  There are a lot of off-shoot trails that you can go on, we went to the very top of the road and took the left trail.  Side Note: You'll need 4-wheel drive to get up to the top.

Koda did really well for being scared stiff of the skis and ski poles.  At first, we started with Nathan and Koda in front and my following (I mean, c'mon, it was my first time).  It was entirely uphill and the snow was deep.  Koda was a champ though and kept going, even though the snow was above his chest.  Nathan was a champ for being patient with Koda and his wanderings.

And you know what, the entire way going uphill I didn't fall. I didn't biff even once.

However, the time came to turn around and go home, and that was an entirely different story. Yes, I fell. And, yes, it seemed like a lot to me.  But, that's part of learning. I'm starting to appreciate the struggle and I think that's important.

Besides, if we all didn't struggle with something, how dull would life be?  It's the constant pursuit of something and the struggle that comes with the pursuit that teaches us more about ourselves and our environment.

Best,
 A

PS: Check out Nathan's Blog to read about his summer travel experience! And Happy Holiday Season from both of us.



No comments:

Post a Comment