Sunday, December 9, 2012

Indian Ridge



A Mental Retreat to warmer times...because right now it's pretty darn cold.   Whether I was living here or in Sufu, I'd be chilled...so I'm not complaining.  I'm merely stating that the colder temperatures and I are on "icy" terms.

Oh, a pun, I'm sorry!

In all honesty, though, I'm very glad we went XC skiing yesterday.  I didn't bring my camera as we were with friends (Yes! Friends!) Annie and Stephen.  Nathan met Stephen through his work and Annie is his wife.  They're swell people and we have fun together. A good thing, in my book.

Anyway, we went out to the same place as the last post with Koda and went about 6-7 miles total on the skis.  When we were done we were tired.

Like, so tired we didn't hardly speak on the ride back.

But, yesterday, it was warmer.  It was probably in the mid-twenties to low thirties.  Perfect XC ski temperature.  

So, today I'm going to focus back on warmer times when I went hiking on a trail called "Indian Ridge".  This trail is also down Gallatin Hwy, like so many of my favorite trails seem to be.  It is shortly after Storm Castle, on your right-hand side.  The parking lot is deceptive compared to the trail.  You think you'll just be walking up a grassy hill, but that would be incorrect.  This is one of the more strenuous hikes I've done.


See? Deceptive.  This is walking back to the parking lot...the point you see on the left is Storm Castle.

Anyway, you start out through a beautiful wooded area with camping locations alongside the stream which runs next to it.
 The trail curves up, crosses over the river and then begins the ascent.  At first, it isn't really to steep.  In fact, you can go past about 3 or 4 of the switchbacks before you start to think, "When the heck is this going to summit?"

But, along the way and during those thoughts, there are some spectacular look-outs.




I never did summit.  
I know.
This is me, admitting defeat.  



I don't know if it was due to the long work week, the trying to keep up with Koda (rather than pulling him back to my pace) the hunger in my belly, or the unease that I felt when I realized I didn't bring bear spray (safety first!) that told me to call it and head back. Whatever it was, I listened to it, and maybe that's okay.  I wrote some solid lesson plans that night and rested up for the week.

Koda was ready to head back too.  He jumped in the car about as fast as I've ever seen him go.

I hope you all have a wonderful week and stay warm, wherever you may be!
I've got a Christmas Concert to prepare for and a flight to the homeland!

Best,
A



No comments:

Post a Comment